An Antique Design
Immaculate attention to detail is easily apparent with this exquisite 8 Day Mechanical Shield Cuckoo Clock designed by world renowned clock makers ROMBA from the Black Forest in Germany, where the company was established in 1894.
Measuring 35cm in height*, this impressive clock showcases the vintage design of a shield clock, a very famous and traditional clock that has been around since the 18th century. The design consists of a square case with an arch on the top of it, usually consisting of floral decals that have been hand painted by a specialised artist. As the task is quite elaborate, today, only a few experienced clock makers in the Black Forest still produce and hand paint these vintage designs, with Conny Haas from ROMBA still hand painting these delicate timepieces herself. The shield clock was the most popular style of clock in the Black Forest until the carved cuckoo clock became popular in the mid 19th century.
This vintage reproduction is a charming design, and features detailed historic floral motifs painted onto the weathered beige coloured solid wood. This beautiful design offers the benefit of being able to fit into almost any decorating scheme. Shield clocks are impressive by their very nature and this ornate design is no exception. Perhaps the most striking feature of this clock is the weathered beige finish against the painted floral motifs, to give it a truly traditional appearance that accentuates the intricate details.
Additional details to complete the overall design feature include the clock dial with easy to read roman numerals. Rounding out this unique clock is a delicate pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, alongside the weights.
This particular clock is an 8 day mechanism, and therefore needs to be wound once a week. The in-built cuckoo of this clock calls the time each hour and once at half past through a door that opens, with a manual night shut off function should that be preferred. There is no music with this clock. Manufacturers in the Black Forest such as Romba offer authentic Black Forest shield clocks in beautiful and elegant designs that make a wonderful addition to any home space.
Benefits of a Mechanical Cuckoo Clock
Black Forest mechanical cuckoo clocks are weight driven and are available in two different movements:
- 1 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a day
- 8 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a week
Each mechanical cuckoo clock will have either two or three weights; two weights for cuckoo only and three weights for cuckoo and music. One weight runs the clock movement and hands that show the time and the second weight drives the cuckoo calling mechanism. The cuckoo sound is produced using bellows that push air through two whistles creating the 'cook' and 'coo' sounds respectively. If you choose to also have music with your mechanical cuckoo clock, the third weight drives a traditional mechanical music box movement with a pinned cylinder that plucks notes on a 'comb' to produce a melody.
Keeping To Traditions
With more than 100 years of experience, Rombach & Haas has become one of the most popular producers of cuckoo clocks in all of the Black Forest region in Germany. Collectors from around the world are awed by the beautiful designs and attention to detail that go into each cuckoo clock from the Rombach & Haas workshops. “Romba” clocks have made a name for themselves worldwide in terms of quality, design, inventiveness and diversity, all of which are still manufactured in the exact same warehouse from 1894.
Why Shop at the Clock Shop?
Our small family run business has been standing in the same location since 1993, providing Australia with an option for consistent quality timepieces. This elegant Cuckoo Clock by ROMBA has been imported from Germany, guaranteeing an item of quality and precision. It comes with a 2 year warranty, and fast, secure delivery Australia wide. Your happiness is our guarantee!
A Guaranteed Product of Authenticity
The Clock Shop is a member of the “VDS-Verein die Schwarzwalduhr” (= Black Forest clock association), and a certificate of authenticity is included for all clocks with a mechanical movement made in the Black Forest. In order to provide customers with this certificate of authenticity, the product must be produced authentically and exclusively from the Black Forest, and must be working purely mechanically with all of its essential working parts to have also been produced in the Black Forest as well. ROMBA mechanical cuckoo clocks all guarantee the hallmarks of quality, precision and authenticity and as such, come with this certificate. When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from the Clock Shop we will guarantee:
- 2 year warranty on all cuckoo clock purchases
- A VDS Certificate of authenticity
- Top quality customer service with fast response times
- Fast and secure delivery to anywhere in Australia
- A 100% happiness guarantee policy with easy returns
- Showcases the design of a shield clock, a very famous and traditional clock that has been around since the 18th century
- The shield clock was the most popular style of clock until the carved cuckoo clock became popular in the mid 19th century
- Design consists of a square case with an arch on the top of it
- Historic floral decals that have been hand painted onto the weathered beige coloured wood by Conny Haas from ROMBA herself
- Vintage reproduction is a charming design
- Clock dial features easy to read roman numerals
- Delicate pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, alongside the weights
- 8 day mechanism, and therefore needs to be wound once a week
- In-built cuckoo of this clock calls the time each hour and once at half past through a door that opens
- Manual night shut off function should that be preferred
- No music
- Romba offer authentic Black Forest shield clocks in beautiful and elegant designs that make a wonderful addition to the home
- Very few designers still produce these antique designs
- Measures 35cm in height*
- Genuine ROMBA Cuckoo Clock made in Germany from high-quality materials
- 2 year warranty
- Free shipping on all orders over $400
- Fast delivery Australia wide
- Happiness guaranteed
Whilst we do our best to accurately capture all products to best represent their natural appearance, the colour and finish of this product may vary slightly from the images on our website.
*Please note the height of this item does not include the weights or the pendulum
|Movement Type||Mechanical 8 Day Chain Wind|
|Clock Sound||Cuckoo Only|
Standard Shipping - $0.00
Take advantage of our great shipping rates including FREE delivery for all orders over $400. Please note, while PO box deliveries are possible, we don't recommend this for large and/or fragile items. We use the most suitable carrier based on the item/s ordered and the delivery location.
Express Shipping - Read notes* - $0.00
EXPRESS SHIPPING IS NOT FREE: Express Shipping is quoted once the order has been submitted. You can choose to pay for the product/s now and pay the shipping cost after the quote has been issued. Alternatively, please use the Shipping Quote payment option at checkout to defer any payment until the shipping quote has been received.
Free pick-up in store - $0.00
Free pick-up from Clock Shop, 194 Main Street, Montville 4560. Mon - Sat 10am - 4:30pm, Sun 1pm - 4:30pm