A Highly Detailed Cuckoo Clock With A Sweet Touch
Looking for a cuckoo clock that offers attention to detail, lots of colour along with moving elements? Why not consider this charming 8 Day Mechanical Chalet Cuckoo Clock designed by world renowned clock makers HÖNES from the Black Forest in Germany, where the company was established in 1950.
Measuring 44cm* in height, his stunning clock portrays a delightful scene in the Bavarian countryside, featuring a multi level chalet house with a timber facade and shingled roof that has been crafted with individual hand laid shingles. Chalet style cuckoo clocks are the most famous and common type of cuckoo clock, and are often featured in the shape of alpine houses. They usually feature carvings that represent life in the mountain regions of Europe (mainly around Southern Germany, The Black Forest, Switzerland and Austria). Out the front of the chalet, a young man is climbing a ladder to get to his sweetheart who is looking out of her window. At the same time, the farmer is waving a pitchfork at the man. Additional detail includes a cow and a dog, along with some carved trees that stand tall, and help to set the scene perfectly.
This fascinating scene also includes a clock dial in the centre of the chalet, and a large amount of hand painted details including window shutters and flowers in the windowsills. Directly above the clock dial are colourful dancers situated on a balcony, underneath the cuckoo bird. Rounding out this unique clock is a timber pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, alongside the weights.
The in-built cuckoo of this clock calls the time each hour and once at half past through a door that opens, with an automatic night shut-off function to allow you a sound sleep before recommencing again the next morning. There are two melodies that alternate with this clock after the cuckoo calls - Edelweiss and Happy Wanderer. This particular clock is an 8 day mechanism, and therefore needs to be wound once a week simply by pulling the chains. The particular automaton (moving parts) for this clock include the farmer who raises his pitchfork as the young man climbs a ladder to get to his sweetheart, and the dancers on the balcony who twirl when the music plays.
Perhaps the most interesting feature of this wonderful clock is the fact that it is highly detailed and colourful, providing a true delight to anybody who gazes upon the scene.
This beautifully designed clock by HÖNES is a charming timepiece, suitable for those looking for a quality cuckoo clock using carving methods that have been practised for hundreds of years.
Benefits of a Mechanical Cuckoo Clock
Black Forest mechanical cuckoo clocks are weight driven and are available in two different movements:
- 1 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a day
- 8 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a week
Each mechanical cuckoo clock will have either two or three weights; two weights for cuckoo only and three weights for cuckoo and music. One weight runs the clock movement and hands that show the time and the second weight drives the cuckoo calling mechanism. The cuckoo sound is produced using bellows that push air through two whistles creating the 'cook' and 'coo' sounds respectively. If you choose to also have music with your mechanical cuckoo clock, the third weight drives a traditional mechanical music box movement with a pinned cylinder that plucks notes on a 'comb' to produce a melody.
Hand Crafted in the Black Forest, Germany
This genuine cuckoo clock is hand crafted in the Black Forest region of Germany by artisan clock makers HÖNES.
For true and authentic German Black Forest clocks, many people have come to rely on the quality and craftsmanship of the HÖNES name. HÖNES offers more than 70 years of experience with creating beautiful, high quality clocks.
Using only highly skilled and talented woodcarvers, HÖNES ensures that each clock creation is exceptionally built. From the design to the details, HÖNES cuckoo clocks have an elegance and beauty that is typical of all Black Forest clockmakers. Ensuring that all clocks are made in the traditional methods is one of the reasons that HÖNES remains such a popular provider of cuckoo clocks.
Why Shop at the Clock Shop?
Our small family run business has been standing in the same location since 1993, providing Australia with the number one option for consistent quality timepieces. Don’t believe us? Check out our company reviews!
If you’re looking to purchase an authentic mechanical German cuckoo clock in Australia, then we offer a large range of quality timepieces that add a German inspired atmosphere to your home.
When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from us, you will be guaranteed a product that is authentic in origin, sourced directly from Germany, and crafted of the highest quality. These beautiful and unique hand carved clocks date back to the early 18th century and are still manufactured in the Black Forest region of Germany today.
A Guaranteed Product of Authenticity
The Clock Shop is a member of the “VDS-Verein die Schwarzwalduhr” (= Black Forest clock association), and a certificate of authenticity is included for all clocks with a mechanical movement made in the Black Forest. In order to provide customers with this certificate of authenticity, the product must be produced authentically and exclusively from the Black Forest, and must be working purely mechanically with all of its essential working parts to have also been produced in the Black Forest as well. HÖNES mechanical cuckoo clocks all guarantee the hallmarks of quality, precision and authenticity and as such, come with this certificate.
When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from the Clock Shop we will guarantee:
- 2 year warranty on all cuckoo clock purchases
- A VDS Certificate of authenticity
- Top quality customer service with fast response times
- Fast and secure delivery to anywhere in Australia
- A 100% happiness guarantee policy with easy returns
- Genuine Black Forest hand crafted mechanical chalet cuckoo clock by HÖNES
- Highly detailed & colourful chalet scene in the Bavarian countryside
- Multi level chalet house with a timber facade and shingled roof with individual hand laid wooden shingles
- Out the front of the chalet to the right is a young man climbing a ladder to reach his sweetheart who is looking out of her window
- The farmer is waving a pitchfork at the man climbing the ladder
- Additional features include a cow, a dog, and some carved trees
- Clock dial in the centre of the chalet
- Many hand painted details to add a hint of colour to the timepiece, including window shutters and flowers in the windowsills
- Colourful dancers situated on a balcony, underneath the cuckoo bird
- Timber pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, along with the weights
- In-built cuckoo of this clock calls the time each hour and once at half past through a door that opens
- Two melodies that alternate with this clock - Edelweiss and Happy Wanderer
- 8 day mechanism -needs to be wound once a week
- Automaton (moving parts) for this clock include the young man who climbs the ladder, the farmer who waves his pitchfork, and the dancers on the balcony
- Automatic night shut-off function
- Certificate of authenticity
- 2 year warranty
- Free shipping on all orders over $400
- Fast delivery Australia wide
- Happiness guaranteed
Whilst we do our best to accurately capture all products to best represent their natural appearance, the colour and finish of this product may vary slightly from the images on our website.
*The measurements of the clock do not include the height of the weights or pendulum.
|Movement Type||Mechanical 8 Day Chain Wind|
|Clock Sound||Cuckoo & Music|
|Theme||People & Culture|
|Automaton (Moving Parts)||Farmer|
|Automaton (Moving Parts)||Sweethearts|
|Automaton (Moving Parts)||Dancers|
Standard Shipping - $0.00
Take advantage of our great shipping rates including FREE delivery for all orders over $400. Please note, while PO box deliveries are possible, we don't recommend this for large and/or fragile items. We use the most suitable carrier based on the item/s ordered and the delivery location.
Express Shipping - Read notes* - $0.00
EXPRESS SHIPPING IS NOT FREE: Express Shipping is quoted once the order has been submitted. You can choose to pay for the product/s now and pay the shipping cost after the quote has been issued. Alternatively, please use the Shipping Quote payment option at checkout to defer any payment until the shipping quote has been received.
Free pick-up in store - $0.00
Free pick-up from Clock Shop, 194 Main Street, Montville 4560. Mon - Sat 10am - 4:30pm, Sun 1pm - 4:30pm