- Mechanical 8 Day Chain Wind
- Mechanical 8 Day Cable Wind
- Mechanical 30 Day Key Wind
- Mechanical 14 Day Cable Wind
- Clock Sound
- Westminster Chime
- Tubular Bells
- Triple Chime
- Bell Strike
- Roman Numerals
- No Numerals
- Arabic Numerals
- Light Timber
- By Colour (38)
- Black (3)
- Light Timber (2)
- Mahogany (3)
- Oak (6)
- Walnut (24)
- By Movement Type (40)
- Mechanical (40)
- By Shape (156)
- Arch (33)
- Long (40)
- Narrow (40)
- Rectangle (3)
- Tall (40)
- By Size (40)
- Large (Over 30cm) (40)
- By Style (42)
- Carved (1)
- Modern (8)
- Retro (1)
- Traditional (32)
- By Theme (39)
- Chiming (39)
- Grandfather (116)
- By Colour (39)
- By Sound (37)
- By Style (40)
- Skeleton (4)
- By Colour (2)
- By Movement Type (2)
- In Stock (28)
- AMS (7)
- Hermle (14)
- Kieninger (1)
- Schneider Gehäuse (7)
Grandfather Clock Buying Guide
There is something so nostalgic about a traditional grandfather clock, a timeless piece that has existed for over 400 years, with highly precise time keeping methods that represent old worldly craftsmanship. Tall and free standing on average between 1.8 and 2.4 metres tall, these weight driven pendulum clocks are a true statement piece, a heirloom item that can be passed down through generations and loved just the same over hundreds of years. Whether it be hearing the quarterly hour Westminster chime that would play, again and again, day and night; or simply watching a grandparent set the time on their own grandfather clock, grandfather clocks invoke a special feeling in many people, providing a link to a world long since passed.
Where did the Name ‘Grandfather Clock’ Come From?
The term grandfather clock actually has nothing to do with a grandfather as one would initially think. In fact, the term was based on a song named ‘My Grandfathers Clock’ written by songwriter Henry Wong in 1875, who was inspired by the tale of a grandfather clock in a hotel lobby that stopped to the minute following the death of the clock's owner. Over time both the song and the term grandfather clock gained popularity and eventually the name just stuck.
Our Recommendations for Purchasing A Grandfather Clock
- Consider the aesthetic you are looking for to suit your chosen space. Would you prefer a traditional grandfather clock that keeps in style with a passage of time that is long since passed; or would you prefer a more contemporary aesthetic to suit the growing modern trend of upscale ambience in modern spaces, offices and workplaces?
- Do you want any other modern design features? Once you have opted for either a traditional or simplistic modern design, next you want to decide whether you want a grandfather clock that offers any other modern design features, including a moon phase dial, or silencing options
- Would you prefer an 8 day or 30 day wind time? Whilst grandfather clocks were originally designed with two varieties of wound time including an 8 day or a 30 hour movement, today most grandfather clocks display 8 day mechanisms. Keep in mind that many of the modern styles are extremely precise and only need to be wound once a month. Choose which option best suits your space and lifestyle preferences
- Decide on what sound preferences you wish for your chosen grandfather clock. Grandfather clocks were designed to chime at every quarter hour, and strike on the full hour, day and night. The original and most widely recognised strike tune is the famous Westminster Quarters tune, however many modern day grandfather clocks also offer the option of additional tunes including Whittington chimes or St Michael’s chimes, as well as the option to silence the clock entirely which can be handy at night time if you are a light sleeper. Some grandfather clocks offer the chimes played on tubular bells for a richer deeper tone to the melody.
Quality Craftsmanship from Our Trusted German Suppliers
Master carvers and clockmakers in Germany still use high quality craftsmanship to produce grandfather clocks that resemble the classic designs of the clocks of bygone eras; whilst other designers are focused on keeping up with the modern pace of today’s society and producing modern designs to suit modern spaces.
For a fine selection of high quality grandfather clocks, look no further than Clock Shop. On offer is a variety of both timeless and modern German made grandfather clocks, from a handful of carefully selected companies who produce products renowned for their high quality craftsmanship.
- AMS (Andreas Mayer & Sons) - a 6th generation family run company founded in the Black Forest region of Germany in 1841, offering precise and reliable clocks to suit the ever changing demand of modern society
- Hermle (Hermle Clocks) - a third generation family owned and operated company founded in 1922 in the Swabian Alb region in Germany with a focus on precision
- Schneider Gehäuse - a fourth generation German family of master cabinet makers in business since 1928, providing extensive and decades long experience and products of the highest quality, powered by tradition and trust
You may notice that the term "tempus fugit grandfather clock" is popular these days, but you may be surprised that it doesn't necessarily represent a quality grandfather clock. Tempus fugit is a latin term that usually translates to "time flies" - a whimsical motto added above the dial of some clocks during the 1940's and 50's, which became more popular in the 70's. Many of the clocks that include this term are of lesser quality and design, however some of these types of clocks are made by master craftsmen. We only stock very high quality grandfather clocks at Clock Shop.
Benefits of Buying a Grandfather Clock
There are numerous advantages to buying one of our grandfather clocks in Australia. Here are a few reasons to invest in one today:
- They become an heirloom: If you are looking for a particular item to pass down to future generations, a grandfather clock makes a perfect choice as they are already a truly timeless piece, having existed for over 400 years. Our range of grandfather clocks are made to withstand the test of time. As long as they are properly maintained, there is no reason why they should not operate for many decades to come
- Variety of options: Our German made grandfather clocks are handcrafted with specific attention to detail, including the colour of the wood, the face of the clock, and chime movement. They come in an assortment of sizes to suit any room in your home
- Expression of personal style: The addition of one of our grandfather clocks to your living room or dining room is a classic way to show off your designer preferences. If you are remodelling your home, incorporating a vintage clock or a modern masterpiece into your updated layout brings a touch of old world charm to the room
Learn More About Grandfather Clocks
Why Choose Clock Shop For A Grandfather Clock?
We aspire to be your go-to company for quality grandfather clocks in Australia. When you choose to shop with us, you can always be assured of the following:
- Custom order options: Our team works hand-in-hand with our chosen manufacturers, which give us the ability to request any modifications directly. Let us know if there is something you would like to change, such as the colour, chain or cable winding preferences, Westminster or Triple Chime movement or other features so we can add these unique details to your order
- On-site Qualified Clockmaker: If you have problems with your clock, we encourage you to reach out to us immediately. Our qualified on site clockmaker is skilled in a range of services to remedy the problem. Regardless of whether your clock is old or new, our trained professionals work diligently to have your clock running in prime condition again in no time
Why Buy from Clock Shop?
Our small family run business has been standing in the same location since 1993, providing Australia with an option for consistent quality timepieces. We pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service, striving to create both memorable and unique experiences for customers both in store and online. We import the majority of our products from a number of regions in Germany including the Black Forest, from our trusted suppliers listed above. The grandfather clocks that we carry all have the hallmarks of quality and precision engineering, ensuring longevity that customers have come to expect. Every year, some of our team travel directly to Germany to meet with our chosen manufacturers and trusted suppliers, discussing new models and products with master carvers. Please don’t hesitate to phone us for more information on any of our products or to discuss specific details in person. Our friendly staff will be happy to assist you with your selection and provide you with all the information you need to choose the correct product for you.
Fast Delivery and Happiness Guaranteed
Shopping online with Clock Shop guarantees a purchase that is easy, fast and secure. No matter where you live in Australia, buy with confidence knowing that your order will be carefully packed and dispatched in a timely manner - Your happiness is our guarantee!