A Delightful Cuckoo Clock
This delightful 8 Day Mechanical Chalet Cuckoo Clock was created by German designer AUGUST SCHWER, who has been producing high quality cuckoo clocks in the heart of the Black Forest since 1885.
Measuring 30cm*, this traditional chalet style cuckoo clock portrays the scene of an alpine chalet in the mountainous woodlands of Germany & Switzerland. The chalet itself features a timber facade with half timbered features on the upper half and a hand laid thatched roof which has been designed after real Black Forest farm house roofs, which are usually unevenly thatched by hand. Additional features include a wooden clock dial and handpainted green window shutters and flowers in the windowsill. The most fascinating aspect of this clock is the depiction of a wood chopper out the front of the chalet chopping wood, whilst a number of fir trees surround the chalet- both on the side and at the back - in fact, this clock is unique in that it is one of the few actual clocks that feature large background trees actually behind the chalet itself - a design that forms a truly impressive scenery. Rounding out this unique clock is a timber pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, alongside the weights.
Chalet cuckoo clocks are the most famous and common type of cuckoo clock, and are often shaped as alpine houses and feature carvings that represent life in the mountain region of Europe (mainly around Southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria). The in-built cuckoo of this beautiful clock calls the full time each hour and once on the half hour. The clock also features a manual night shut off mode that is enabled by lifting and pulling a lever. Chalet style cuckoo clocks can range from simple arrangements of carved features to very detailed scenes with many moving parts (known as automaton). The particular automaton for this cuckoo clock includes the wood chopper and the cuckoo bird. This delightful clock needs to be wound once a week and does not come with music.
This beautifully designed clock by SCHWER is a charming timepiece, suitable for those looking for a quality traditional cuckoo clock using carving methods that have been practised for hundreds of years.
Benefits of a Mechanical Cuckoo Clock
Black Forest mechanical cuckoo clocks are weight driven and are available in two different movements:
- 1 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a day
- 8 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a week
Each mechanical cuckoo clock will have either two or three weights; two weights for cuckoo only and three weights for cuckoo and music. One weight runs the clock movement and hands that show the time and the second weight drives the cuckoo calling mechanism. The cuckoo sound is produced using bellows that push air through two whistles creating the 'cook' and 'coo' sounds respectively. If you choose to also have music with your mechanical cuckoo clock, the third weight drives a traditional mechanical music box movement with a pinned cylinder that plucks notes on a 'comb' to produce a melody.
Award Winning Clocks
- The August Schwer clock factory is famous for their award-winning clocks, having won a number of awards over the years including cuckoo clock of the year in 2015
- The company produced their first cuckoo clock in 1737 and today their clocks depict woodland scenery inspired by the unique rural scenery of the Black Forest
- The company remain authentic in their terms of production, using only wood and metal from the Black Forest itself, aside for rare occasions where the material is sourced elsewhere
- The cuckoo clocks produced by August Schwer are produced with a high attention to detail, with delicate and intricate carvings on all of their designs
Why Shop at the Clock Shop?
Our small family run business has been standing in the same location since 1993, providing Australia with the number one option for consistent quality timepieces. Don’t believe us? Check out our company reviews!
If you’re looking to purchase an authentic German cuckoo clock in Australia, then we offer a large range of quality timepieces that add a German inspired atmosphere to your home.
When you purchase a cuckoo clock from us, you will be guaranteed a product that is authentic in origin, sourced directly from Germany, and crafted of the highest quality. These beautiful and unique hand carved clocks date back to the early 18th century and are still manufactured in the Black Forest region of Germany today.
A Guaranteed Product of Authenticity
The Clock Shop is a member of the “VDS-Verein die Schwarzwalduhr” (= Black Forest clock association), and a certificate of authenticity is included for all clocks with a mechanical movement made in the Black Forest. In order to provide customers with this certificate of authenticity, the product must be produced authentically and exclusively from the Black Forest, and must be working purely mechanically with all of its essential working parts to have also been produced in the Black Forest as well. SCHWER mechanical cuckoo clocks all guarantee the hallmarks of quality, precision and authenticity and as such, come with this certificate. When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from the Clock Shop we will guarantee:
- 2 year warranty on all cuckoo clock purchases
- A VDS Certificate of authenticity
- Top quality customer service with fast response times
- Fast and secure delivery to anywhere in Australia
- A 100% happiness guarantee policy with easy returns
- Genuine hand-crafted 8 day mechanical carved cuckoo clock by SCHWER
- Alpine chalet in the mountainous woodlands of Germany
- Timber facade with half timbered features on the upper half
- Hand laid thatched roof which has been designed after real Black Forest farm house roofs
- Wooden clock dial and handpainted green window shutters and flowers in the windowsill
- Wood chopper out the front of the chalet chopping wood
- A number of fir trees surround the chalet- both on the side and at the back
- One of the few actual clocks that feature large background trees actually behind the chalet itself
- Timber pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, alongside the weights
- In-built cuckoo of this beautiful clock calls the full time each hour and once on the half hour
- Manual night shut off mode that is enabled by lifting and pulling a lever
- Atomaton for this cuckoo clock includes the wood chopper and the cuckoo bird
- Needs to be wound once a week
- Does not come with music
- Measures 30cm in height*
- Hand crafted in the Black Forest region of Germany
- 2 year warranty
- Fast delivery Australia wide
- Free delivery on orders over $400
- Happiness guaranteed
Whilst we do our best to accurately capture all products to best represent their natural appearance, the colour and finish of this product may vary slightly from the images on our website.
*The measurements of the clock do not include the height of the weights or pendulum.