A Mantel Cuckoo Clock Depicting A Swiss Story From 1880
This traditional Heidi House Battery Chalet Cuckoo Clock represents a fine example of a genuine, high quality hand-crafted Black Forest cuckoo clock, produced by artisan clock makers TRENKLE from Simonswald in the Black Forest region of Germany. Measuring 20cm in height, this enchanting multi level chalet style cuckoo clock portrays the story of Heidi & Peter as detailed below:
The classic story of Heidi is well loved and known throughout Switzerland, where the story originated in 1880. In this story Heidi, a little orphan mountain girl learns about life whilst sent to live with her grandfather at his mountain home in the Swiss Alps. In this story, Heidi makes a new friend named Klara, who is ill and spends most of her time confined to a wheelchair. Meanwhile, Heidi's other friend, Peter who is the shepherd for Heidi's grandfather and who has spent a lot of time with Heidi, becomes jealous of Klara and her friendship with Heidi, and so he gets rid of Klaras wheelchair to try and send her away, in a bid to spend more time with Heidi for himself. After a large storm ravages their little village, Klara is so determined to help, and in doing so she realises she no longer needs the wheelchair after all. This new-found discovery sparks a big celebration in the stricken village.
Chalet cuckoo clocks are the most famous and common type of cuckoo clocks and are often shaped as alpine houses, featuring details that represent life in the mountain regions of Europe (around southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria). This particular clock features Heidi, Peter, Heidi's grandfather, & a dog out the front of the chalet, alongside a large tree. All of these features have been hand carved out of timber and hand painted, with the overall clock design rounded out by a wooden clock dial.
Chalet style cuckoo clocks can range from simple arrangements of crafted features to very detailed scenes with many moving parts, commonly referred to as automaton. This clock does not include any automaton.
The in-built cuckoo of this beautiful clock calls the time each hour, with a manual shut-off mode. This particular clock needs to be wound once a day. The design of this clock with a base to be able to sit on a table or ledge makes it a truly unique item, however if you prefer to hang it on a wall that is also an option.
The in-built cuckoo of this beautiful clock calls the time each hour, with a permanent automatic night-time shut-off that is controlled by a light sensor. When the room is dark enough, the cuckoo will no longer sound allowing you a sound sleep, before recommencing as the room lights up again the next morning. There is also a manual override to silence the cuckoo altogether should that be preferred.
This cuckoo clock comes with an option of 12 different melodies that rotate each hour (music is optional) including:
- Music Box Dancer
- Muss I Denn Zum (Wooden Heart)
- Lara's Theme - Dr Zhivago
- Mühle im Schwarzwald (Black Forest Mill)
- Ich weiss nicht, was soll es bedeuten (The Lorelei)
- Oh My Papa
- Fröhlicher Wanderer (Happy Wanderer)
- Que Sera
- Für Elise (Pour Elise)
Benefits of a Quartz Battery Operated Cuckoo Clock
Quartz cuckoo clocks operate differently to mechanical cuckoo clocks. Quartz simply means the clock movement is battery operated. One benefit of a quartz operated cuckoo clock is that they are easier to manage and more hands off than a traditional mechanical cuckoo clock, as they do not require to be wound, and often feature ornamental or decorative weights and chains.
Quartz cuckoo clocks are available with or without music; the models that come with music play 12 different tunes that alternate each hour. Some models feature the sound of a real cuckoo bird in a forest environment.
Most quartz cuckoo clocks feature a light sensor for automatic night shut off to automatically mute any sound when the room gets dark.
Quality Black Forest Craftsmanship
- This genuine cuckoo clock is hand crafted in the Black Forest region of Germany by artisan clock makers Trenkle.
- For over a half of a century, the Trenkle Uhren GmbH company has been carrying on the clock production tradition.
- Trenkle Black Forest clocks are a wonderful example of quality, careful workmanship and a love for detail. Their clocks are produced using a combination of creative handwork and the newest technology
- Trenkle Uhren's creative ideas are expressed in their ever changing models which add to the extensive range already available, which can be browsed both in store and online at the Clock Shop
Why Shop at the Clock Shop?
Our small family run business has been standing in the same location since 1993, providing Australia with the number one option for consistent quality timepieces. Don’t believe us? Check out our company reviews!
If you’re looking to purchase an authentic German cuckoo clock in Australia, then we offer a large range of quality timepieces that add a German inspired atmosphere to your home.
When you purchase a cuckoo clock from us, you will be guaranteed a product that is authentic in origin, sourced directly from Germany, and crafted of the highest quality. These beautiful and unique hand carved clocks date back to the early 18th century and are still manufactured in the Black Forest region of Germany today.
- Genuine hand-carved battery cuckoo clock by TRENKLE in the Black Forest
- Traditional Heidi House scene with Heidi, Peter, Heidi's Grandfather and a dog
- Wooden clock dial
- Carved sturdy base to enable this clock to sit on a table or ledge or hang on a wall
- Cuckoo calls the time each hour
- Night shut off mode
- Rotates through 12 different melodies
- Music is optional and can be turned off with a switch
- High quality pendulum battery quartz movement that accurately holds the time
- Requires 3 x C Alkaline batteries
- Measures 20cm in height
- 2 year warranty
- Fast delivery Australia wide
- Happiness guaranteed
Whilst we do our best to accurately capture all products to best represent their natural appearance, the colour and finish of this product may vary slightly from the images on our website.