Produced In The Black Forest
This delightful 1 Day Mechanical Chalet Cuckoo Clock was created by German designer AUGUST SCHWER, who has been producing high quality cuckoo clocks in the heart of the Black Forest since 1885.
Measuring 21cm in height*, this pleasing chalet style cuckoo clock portrays the scene of a small alpine chalet in the mountainous woodlands in Germany. The chalet features simple carvings of a water trough, fir trees and added details around the house, whilst the house itself features a shingled roof with hand laid wooden shingles, and a tinber facade with a beautiful walnut finish.
Chalet cuckoo clocks are the most famous and common type of cuckoo clock and are often shaped as alpine houses, featuring carvings that represent life in the mountain regions of Europe (around southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria). Chalet style cuckoo clocks are can range from simple arrangements of carved features to very detailed scenes with many moving parts (also known as automaton). There is no automaton with this clock aside for the cuckoo bird. The clock also features a wooden clock dial, and a timber pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, alongside the weights.
As this clock runs on a 1 day mechanism, the weights need to be wound once a day. The in-built cuckoo of this clock is a lifelike wooden handpainted cuckoo who calls the time each hour and once at half past through a door that opens. This clock features a manual night shut off function that is enabled by lifting a lever, to disable the sound at night time should that be preferred. There is no music with this clock.
This beautifully designed clock by SCHWER is a charming timepiece, suitable for those looking for a quality traditional cuckoo clock using carving methods that have been practised for hundreds of years.
Benefits of a Mechanical Cuckoo Clock
Black Forest mechanical cuckoo clocks are weight driven and are available in two different movements:
- 1 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a day
- 8 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a week
Each mechanical cuckoo clock will have either two or three weights; two weights for cuckoo only and three weights for cuckoo and music. One weight runs the clock movement and hands that show the time and the second weight drives the cuckoo calling mechanism. The cuckoo sound is produced using bellows that push air through two whistles creating the 'cook' and 'coo' sounds respectively. If you choose to also have music with your mechanical cuckoo clock, the third weight drives a traditional mechanical music box movement with a pinned cylinder that plucks notes on a 'comb' to produce a melody.
Award Winning Clocks
- The August Schwer clock factory is famous for their award-winning clocks, having won a number of awards over the years including cuckoo clock of the year in 2015
- The company produced their first cuckoo clock in 1737 and today their clocks depict woodland scenery inspired by the unique rural scenery of the Black Forest
- The company remain authentic in their terms of production, using only wood and metal from the Black Forest itself, aside for rare occasions where the material is sourced elsewhere
- The cuckoo clocks produced by August Schwer are produced with a high attention to detail, with delicate and intricate carvings on all of their designs
Why Shop at the Clock Shop?
Our small family run business has been standing in the same location since 1993, providing Australia with the number one option for consistent quality timepieces. Don’t believe us? Check out our company reviews!
If you’re looking to purchase an authentic German cuckoo clock in Australia, then we offer a large range of quality timepieces that add a German inspired atmosphere to your home.
When you purchase a cuckoo clock from us, you will be guaranteed a product that is authentic in origin, sourced directly from Germany, and crafted of the highest quality. These beautiful and unique hand carved clocks date back to the early 18th century and are still manufactured in the Black Forest region of Germany today.
A Guaranteed Product of Authenticity
The Clock Shop is a member of the “VDS-Verein die Schwarzwalduhr” (= Black Forest clock association), and a certificate of authenticity is included for all clocks with a mechanical movement made in the Black Forest. In order to provide customers with this certificate of authenticity, the product must be produced authentically and exclusively from the Black Forest, and must be working purely mechanically with all of its essential working parts to have also been produced in the Black Forest as well. SCHWER mechanical cuckoo clocks all guarantee the hallmarks of quality, precision and authenticity and as such, come with this certificate. When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from the Clock Shop we will guarantee:
- 2 year warranty on all cuckoo clock purchases
- A VDS Certificate of authenticity
- Top quality customer service with fast response times
- Fast and secure delivery to anywhere in Australia
- A 100% happiness guarantee policy with easy returns
- Genuine hand-carved 1 day mechanical carved cuckoo clock by SCHWER
- Quaint little log chalet in the mountain woods scene
- Water trough & fir trees outside chalet
- Wooden clock dial, timber pendulum, weights
- Hand laid wooden shingled roof
- Walnut finish
- Needs to be wound once a day
- In built cuckoo is a lifelike wooden handpainted cuckoo
- Calls the time each hour and once at half past through a door that opens
- No music
- Night shut off mode
- Measures 21cm in height*
- Hand carved in the Black Forest region of Germany
- 2 year warranty
- Fast delivery Australia wide
- Free delivery on orders over $400
- Happiness guaranteed
Whilst we do our best to accurately capture all products to best represent their natural appearance, the colour and finish of this product may vary slightly from the images on our website.
*The measurements of the clock do not include the height of the weights or pendulum.