A Clock With Deep & Colourful Carvings
Looking for a cuckoo clock that offers deep & detailed carvings along with a splash of colour? Why not consider this charming 8 Day Mechanical Chalet Cuckoo Clock designed by world renowned clock makers HÖNES from the Black Forest in Germany, where the company was established in 1950.
Measuring 50cm in height*, this impressive hand-carved clock features a clock peddler on the right, and a lady on the left dressed in traditional Black Forest attire. The story of the clock peddler dates back hundreds of years where the artisans would spend long winters crafting cuckoo clocks, then travel far and wide in the spring to sell their unique creations. Today the clock peddler is celebrated as a prominent symbol of the successes that the cuckoo clock industry has seen throughout the years, and are often symbolised in many cuckoo clock designs, paying homage to artisans from a time long since past. Surrounding the clock peddler and the lady are a number of carved fir trees that stand tall - such detailed forest foliage frames the clock perfectly. The base of the clock is another feature that has been heavily hand carved, with the overall timepiece finished in an antique walnut colour.
The clock also features a timber facade and a chalet style roof, with individual hand laid wooden shingles, along with a wooden clock dial in the centre of the piece, and a timber pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, alongside the weights. Rounding out this fascinating timepiece are colourful dancers dressed in traditional Black Forest clothing situated on a balcony above the clock dial. This particular clock runs on an 8 day mechanism, and therefore needs to be wound once a week simply by pulling the weights. The in-built cuckoo of this clock calls the time each hour and once at half past, and the particular automaton (moving parts) for this clock include the dancers on the balcony who twirl when the music plays after the cuckoo calls. There are two melodies that alternate with this clock after the cuckoo calls- Edelweiss and Happy Wanderer.
Perhaps the most fascinating feature of this stunning timepiece is the clock peddler and Black Forest lady, along with the dancers who have been hand painted, and add a hint of colour to the overall timepiece.
This beautifully designed clock by HÖNES is a charming timepiece, suitable for those looking for a quality traditional cuckoo clock that has been produced with the same carving methods that have been practised for hundreds of years.
Take A Closer Look At The Clock
Benefits of a Mechanical Cuckoo Clock
Black Forest mechanical cuckoo clocks are weight driven and are available in two different movements:
- 1 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a day
- 8 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a week
Each mechanical cuckoo clock will have either two or three weights; two weights for cuckoo only and three weights for cuckoo and music. One weight runs the clock movement and hands that show the time and the second weight drives the cuckoo calling mechanism. The cuckoo sound is produced using bellows that push air through two whistles creating the 'cook' and 'coo' sounds respectively. If you choose to also have music with your mechanical cuckoo clock, the third weight drives a traditional mechanical music box movement with a pinned cylinder that plucks notes on a 'comb' to produce a melody.
Hand Crafted in the Black Forest, Germany
This genuine cuckoo clock is hand crafted in the Black Forest region of Germany by artisan clock makers HÖNES.
For true and authentic German Black Forest clocks, many people have come to rely on the quality and craftsmanship of the HÖNES name. HÖNES offers more than 70 years of experience with creating beautiful, high quality clocks.
Using only highly skilled and talented woodcarvers, HÖNES ensures that each clock creation is exceptionally built. From the design to the details, HÖNES cuckoo clocks have an elegance and beauty that is typical of all Black Forest clockmakers. Ensuring that all clocks are made in the traditional methods is one of the reasons that HÖNES remains such a popular and trusted provider of cuckoo clocks.
Why Shop at the Clock Shop?
Our small family run business has been standing in the same location since 1993, providing Australia with the number one option for consistent quality timepieces. Don’t believe us? Check out our company reviews!
If you’re looking to purchase an authentic mechanical German cuckoo clock in Australia, then we offer a large range of quality timepieces that add a German inspired atmosphere to your home.
When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from us, you will be guaranteed a product that is authentic in origin, sourced directly from Germany, and crafted of the highest quality. These beautiful and unique hand carved clocks date back to the early 18th century and are still manufactured in the Black Forest region of Germany today.
A Guaranteed Product of Authenticity
The Clock Shop is a member of the “VDS-Verein die Schwarzwalduhr” (= Black Forest clock association), and a certificate of authenticity is included for all clocks with a mechanical movement made in the Black Forest. In order to provide customers with this certificate of authenticity, the product must be produced authentically and exclusively from the Black Forest, and must be working purely mechanically with all of its essential working parts to have also been produced in the Black Forest as well. HÖNES mechanical cuckoo clocks all guarantee the hallmarks of quality and authenticity and as such, come with this certificate.
When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from the Clock Shop we will guarantee:
- 2 year warranty on all cuckoo clock purchases
- A VDS Certificate of authenticity
- Top quality customer service with fast response times
- Fast and secure delivery to anywhere in Australia
- A 100% happiness guarantee policy with easy returns
- Genuine Black Forest hand carved mechanical chalet cuckoo clock by HÖNES
- Features deep and detailed carvings in the wood
- Features a clock peddler to the right and a lady in traditional Black Forest attire to the left
- Number of carved fir trees that stand tall - such detailed forest foliage frames the clock perfectly
- Base of the clock is another feature that has been heavily hand carved
- Overall timepiece finished in an antique walnut colour
- Features a chalet style roof, with individual hand laid wooden shingles
- Timber pendulum that hangs below the clock itself, alongside the weights
- Colourful dancers dressed in traditional Black Forest clothing situated on a balcony above the clock dial
- Clock peddler, lady and dancers have been hand painted to add a hint of colour to the timepiece
- 8 day mechanism
- Needs to be wound once a week simply by pulling the weights
- In-built cuckoo of this clock calls the time each hour and once at half past
- Automaton (moving parts) for this clock include the dancers on the balcony who twirl when the music plays after the cuckoo calls
- Two melodies that alternate with this clock after the cuckoo calls- Edelweiss and Happy Wanderer
- Measures 50cm* in height
- Certificate of authenticity
- 2 year warranty
- Free shipping on all orders over $400
- Fast delivery Australia wide
- Happiness guaranteed
Whilst we do our best to accurately capture all products to best represent their natural appearance, the colour and finish of this product may vary slightly from the images on our website.
*The measurements of the clock do not include the height of the weights or pendulum.