A Cuckoo Clock Depicting A Swiss Story From 1880
This traditional Heidi House 1 Day Mechanical Chalet Cuckoo Clock represents a fine example of a genuine, high quality hand-crafted Black Forest cuckoo clock, produced by artisan clock makers TRENKLE from Simonswald in the Black Forest region of Germany. Measuring 25cm in height, this enchanting multi level chalet style cuckoo clock portrays the story of Heidi & Peter as detailed below:
The classic story of Heidi is well loved and known throughout Switzerland, where the story originated in 1880. In this story Heidi, a little orphan mountain girl learns about life whilst sent to live with her grandfather at his mountain home in the Swiss Alps. In this story, Heidi makes a new friend named Klara, who is ill and spends most of her time confined to a wheelchair. Meanwhile, Heidi's other friend, Peter who is the shepherd for Heidi's grandfather and who has spent a lot of time with Heidi, becomes jealous of Klara and her friendship with Heidi, and so he gets rid of Klaras wheelchair to try and send her away, in a bid to spend more time with Heidi for himself. After a large storm ravages their little village, Klara is so determined to help, and in doing so she realises she no longer needs the wheelchair after all. This new-found discovery sparks a big celebration in the stricken village.
Chalet cuckoo clocks are the most famous and common type of cuckoo clocks and are often shaped as alpine houses, featuring details that represent life in the mountain regions of Europe (around southern Germany, Switzerland and Austria). This particular clock features Heidi, Peter, Heidi's grandfather, & a goat & dog out the front of the chalet, alongside a couple of large trees. All of these features have been hand carved out of timber and hand painted, with the overall clock design rounded out by a wooden clock dial and timber pendulum.
Chalet style cuckoo clocks can range from simple arrangements of crafted features to very detailed scenes with many moving parts, commonly referred to as automaton. This clock does not include any automaton.
The in-built cuckoo of this beautiful clock calls the time each hour and once at half past through a door that opens, with a manual shut-off mode. This particular clock needs to be wound once a day and does not include music.
Benefits of a Mechanical Cuckoo Clock
Black Forest mechanical cuckoo clocks are weight driven and are available in two different movements:
- 1 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a day
- 8 Day Movement - you wind the clock by pulling the chain and winding the weights once a week
Each mechanical cuckoo clock will have either two or three weights; two weights for cuckoo only and three weights for cuckoo and music. One weight runs the clock movement and hands that show the time and the second weight drives the cuckoo calling mechanism. The cuckoo sound is produced using bellows that push air through two whistles creating the 'cook' and 'coo' sounds respectively. If you choose to also have music with your mechanical cuckoo clock, the third weight drives a traditional mechanical music box movement with a pinned cylinder that plucks notes on a 'comb' to produce a melody.
Quality Black Forest Craftsmanship
- This genuine cuckoo clock is hand crafted in the Black Forest region of Germany by artisan clock makers Trenkle.
- For over a half of a century, the Trenkle Uhren GmbH company has been carrying on the clock production tradition.
- Trenkle Black Forest clocks are a wonderful example of quality, careful workmanship and a love for detail. Their clocks are produced using a combination of creative handwork and the newest technology
- Trenkle Uhren's creative ideas are expressed in their ever changing models which add to the extensive range already available, which can be browsed both in store and online at the Clock Shop
Why Shop at the Clock Shop?
Our small family run business has been standing in the same location since 1993, providing Australia with the number one option for consistent quality timepieces. Don’t believe us? Check out our company reviews!
If you’re looking to purchase an authentic mechanical German cuckoo clock in Australia, then we offer a large range of quality timepieces that add a German inspired atmosphere to your home.
When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from the Clock Shop you will be guaranteed a product that is authentic in origin, sourced directly from Germany, and crafted of the highest quality. These beautiful and unique hand carved clocks date back to the early 18th century and are still manufactured in the Black Forest region of Germany today.
A Guaranteed Product of Authenticity
The Clock Shop is a member of the “VDS-Verein die Schwarzwalduhr” (= Black Forest clock association), and a certificate of authenticity is included for all clocks with a mechanical movement made in the Black Forest. In order to provide customers with this certificate of authenticity, the product must be produced authentically and exclusively from the Black Forest, and must be working purely mechanically with all of its essential working parts to have also been produced in the Black Forest as well. TRENKLE mechanical cuckoo clocks all guarantee the hallmarks of quality, precision and authenticity and as such, come with this certificate.
When you purchase a mechanical cuckoo clock from the Clock Shop we will guarantee:
- 2 year warranty on all cuckoo clock purchases
- A VDS Certificate of authenticity
- Top quality customer service with fast response times
- Fast and secure delivery to anywhere in Australia
- A 100% happiness guarantee policy with easy returns
- Genuine hand-crafted mechanical operated cuckoo clock by TRENKLE
- Endearing scene of Heidi and Peter, featuring Heidi, Peter, Heidi's grandfather, & a goat & dog out the front of the chalet, alongside a couple of trees
- Incredible amount of detail in the multi level chalet
- Wooden clock dial & timber pendulum
- Hand painted features including window shutters & cuckoo door
- Cuckoo calls the time each hour and once on the half hour
- Manual night shut off
- Measures 25cm in height
- Hand crafted in the Black Forest region of Germany
- Certificate of Authenticity
- 2 year warranty
- Fast delivery Australia wide
- Happiness guaranteed
Whilst we do our best to accurately capture all products to best represent their natural appearance, the colour and finish of this product may vary slightly from the images on our website.
*The measurements of the clock do not include the height of the weights or pendulum.